Wednesday, May 16, 2007

DJ Mauls Ultimate Star Wars Toy Room Tour, Part 3-D!

Welcome back, To DJ Maul's Star Wars Toy Room Tour Part 3-D!

Today I am going to veer from the beaten path...my original plan was to simply go from wall to wall, shelf to shelf and walk through each item in order, but decided it might be more fun if I shake things up a bit.So part 3 will concentrate on a segment of my collection that, while not VAST, is to me, unique and interesting: Star Wars store displays.

A brief explanation: My main job is mobile disc jockey (available for weddings, birthdays, etc. ) but I also work part time for Edys Ice Cream. My job there entails a route of several stores throughout my area, where I go in and basically make sure the ice cream shelves are full. This is NOT as fun as it sounds.Anyway, when Ep. III came out, there were a LOT of various food promotions tied in, and I'm sure many of you saw quite a few interesting display cases set up in your local food store.Through luck, timing, and persistence, I managed to get a hold of a few cool items.

Let's start with:

C-3PO cardboard display

Chewbacca cardboard display

These cardboard pictures are both from (I believe) the same store display case. If memory serves it was a Keebler cookie display. I found both of these in the back of the store near their cardboard crusher; the main display box had already been destroyed but these were still intact and sitting along the side. I asked the store manager if I could take them, since it appeared they were ready to be thrown away anyway, and he said go ahead.(Side notes on other items in pics: the posters next to C-3PO are again more freebies from magazines. The little green Yoda above Chewie is another of those cheap Halloween masks I found, same as the Vader one I turned into a light switch cover.)

Directly below Chewie's feet lies this item:A Star Wars Toy Lightsaber display box that I found in a Wal-Mart.

This box was originally used to display the plastic toy light sabers. While shopping one day I saw this on the shelf, empty, and on a whim took it to the register along with my purchases. I simply told the cashier this was an empty box on the shelf and asked if I could take it, and again she said no problem, it would only be thrown away anyway.For awhile this box sat unused, as I was unsure what to actually DO with it.While setting up the room the box seemed to fit perfectly in the space there between two bookshelves, and then I finally figured out what to put in it!The box currently holds quite a few of some of my more "special" comic books; one's that I have had signed at conventions etc. including the movie adoption of Ep. III that you see out in front. They fit perfectly, displays nicely and offers easy access to them as well!

Back over closer to the C-3PO display, are a few more display items.

The first one I'll address is the Star Wars Ep. III cardboard banner from the toy aisle at Target. There is a second one gracing another shelf on the other side of the room as well.

Again, really just a case of good timing. They were being taken down as I walked into the aisle and I boldly asked if I could have them.

Next we have:a Defeat The Dark Side M&M Display posterand also a Defeat The Dark Side M&M Cardboard display banner ...I moved the items that sit in front of this for a better view, you'll see those items later on. Both of these came from a local Pathmark food store, and again, just lucky timing to come across them as the display was being torn down.There were SO many other amazing displays I saw over the several months during the build up to and release of Ep. III, including an AWSOME Vader Kellogg's display case that would have held a lot of figs quite nicely, but I was never able to get my hands on them. There were several that I inquired about at some stores but was basically blown off by the store managers. But I am happy that I managed to score at least a few.

I'm hoping with the upcoming Unaltered OT coming to DVD this fall there may perhaps be more promotional tie in's and store displays to find...They may not be worth all that much, as many are NOT in "Mint" condition by any stretch, but I think they add a unique touch to the room and are items that not EVERYONE is able to find. Now some of you may be saying "Well, heck, Deej, you can get pretty much any display you want to, just go shopping on eBay!"You're right, of course, but to me that's not nearly as fun or interesting. Besides, the only thing better than a Star Wars item is a FREE Star Wars item...none of these displays cost me a dime.

On a final note: Let me take this moment to extol the virtues of Poster Putty.

Poster Putty is an amazing product that allows one to stick all SORTS of items, including paper, cardboard, & plastics, to walls without having to use tacks, tape, or other items that may damage the item.Pretty much everything you see hung to the wall (with the exception of heavier items like picture frames of course) is attached with Poster Putty. Not only does it hold posters and the like very well, it also is removable, reusable, and will NOT damage your item in the least.Look for Poster Putty at your local office supply store, and tell them DJ Maul sent ya...

(Legal Note: The above endorsement for Poster Putty has been done without their consent and in should no way be construed as a commercial endorsement by either party. "Poster Putty" isn't even really the NAME of the stuff I just forgot what it's really called... )

That's it for part 3. Next time we'll get back on the path and continue on the journey to the next shelf together....wear comfortable shoes, it's a long walk...see ya next time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home